Friday, January 28, 2011

Working With Mistakes

On Sunday, I made my first significant mistake. I was cutting a mortise into a piece of wood and I did not properly center the cut. Dr. Huminski realized the mistake after it had been made. I had two choices. I could either increase the size of the mortise by one inch or I could scrap the piece of wood and start over. This piece of wood had already been fitted in an exact spot and held a second mortise for a different joint. For this reason, I decided that it would be too time consuming and impractical to start over with this piece of wood. Instead, I made the mortise and inch longer to center it. This will mean that the foot rest of the desk must be an inch wider. The only effect this has is not allowing a chair to be pushed under the desk quite so far. I am glad that I was able to work with my mistake and that it did not cause too much harm.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I would love to see more pictures! I am really not picturing this whole "mortise" piece!!Glad the mistake didn't have more serious ramifications!

    ReplyDelete