Thursday, February 17, 2011

Biscuit Time!

So far, I have only been using a mortise and tenon joint to put together my desk. On Sunday, I learned about and used a new joint called the biscuit joint.
These are biscuits.
In a biscuit joint, you first use a biscuit machine to punch a half cresent shape into a piece of wood. 
This is me using a biscuit machine. 










This is what the half cresent holes look like. I punched these holes into the two pieces I was connecting so that when you put the pieces together, the holes line up and form an oval shaped hole.





To join the two pieces, I spread glue in one 
of the cresent shaped holes and then put 
a biscuit (the first picture) in one 
of the sides of wood. Then I spread glue over the biscuit and 
in the corresponding cresent hole and
push the two pieces together.

The two pieces come together and you have wood joined by biscuits.

2 comments:

  1. I am dissapointed that I can't see that last picture... man, when you say, "it will look like this", I REALLY want to know what it looks like, BUT I CAN'T!!

    Nicely done, it looks like your project is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!- Gives new meaning to the idea of a 'biscuit and gravy breakfast'!!
    Charlotte...I am so sorry!!! I just plain old FORGOT that I was going to watch you this afternoon! I am sorry. Here it is 4:30 and I remembered. Will try again next week!

    ReplyDelete